Friday, May 29, 2009

Moving Towards a Healthier, More Natural/Organic Life Style


Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.
1 Corinthians 6;19

I personally believe strongly in taking care of ones self. Eating well, exercising, getting good sleep, and so on.
However, it can be so hard to do so amongst our society where everyone does what "feels" best, do what you "want" to do vs. need to do. A lot of people have just gotten extremely lazy (including myself) and just don't care any more and I don't want to become that person. With given only one life and our life not being our own how much more important is it for us to care for and do what's best for what God has given to us, our body.

As a mom and wife I feel it is part of my job to really take care of my husband and daughter. And, a big part of that is making sure that I am creating a healthy life style for them and that i am instilling in our daughter good values. She, at the age of 3, understands what exercise is and knows that it is an important part of every day life. She also knows that eating fruits and vegetables on a regular basis are important and that treats are for special occasions not an every day thing-not something that is needed but something that we love and get once in awhile.

Loren and I (and Grace) are trying to get into running. We've realized we have gotten extremely lazy lately when it comes to exercising and we have a magnificent trail right near by and are giving it a shot. I was totally inspired by the show Biggest Looser this year and am just going to go for it. Yes, it hurts! Yes, I can't breath. Yes, I'd rather be doing nothing. But, that's not what I need. After we are done running, I feel invigorated. I feel alive and rejuvenated. It's amazing what exercise will do for you body after all those ever so important endorphins are released. I even sleep better those nights! What an awesome God we have who created us in such a unique way. I honestly think our world would be a much more pleasant place to live if more people got out side, got some fresh air and exercised.

Food wise: I only wish we had a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near by as they sell some incredible natural and organic food and the cost is not that horrible. I've always said, if we ever had an abundance of money the thing I would spend it on would be good quality (natural and organic) food. The food just tastes so much better. I have dreams of using all natural cleaning products, and care products as well. We just recently starting using Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps (All-One Hemp Peppermint Pure-Castile soap made with organic oils) and it's fabulous. Non-drying and can be used for up to 18 different purposes. We are now using an all natural face soap too which works better than any chemical filled product I've used in the past.

Another new addition to our list is - all natural laundry detergent. It started due to Grace having sensitive skin but now we are washing all of our clothes Dye Free and All Natural

So many products are made with such harsh ingredients that are unhealthy for people and our environment. Not sure why, but the great thing is we don't have to use them anymore. There are so many options out there and they aren't expensive either. So, little by little we are trying to go more that route and are so excited about it.
I am thankful to have the knowledge about what we are putting into and onto and around our bodies.
Thank you Lord for Wisdom and for a supportive husband and daughter. I'm looking forward to living a healthy long life.

2 comments:

M said...

I'd love to hear specifics on what products you're using and where you are getting them. Josh and I talk often about how much we would love, more than anything, to be able to exclusively buy local, organic, and healthier foods if money was not an issue. As it is now? I pick and choose and go where I can.

And good for you and the running. The summer is not a good time for me so here's hoping I get inspired come this fall. We can ALL use exercise. It IS our job as parents to be good examples (thank heavens my kids think fruits are the greatest thing ever even if I suck at eating them. now veggies? We all suck at those...some day!)

Melissa said...

Thanks Michelle!!!
In the fall if you want to work out together let me know. I lack inspiration big time and need help!!!!!