Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Choir Concert Gone Bad

I took Grace to the Rogers High School choir concert tonight.
She was stocked and I was stoked for her.
We sat in the front row, she sat still and was quiet for the most part and did perfectly well.
Things were going all too well. After one of the choirs finished I asked her if she wanted to stay or leave. She said she wanted to leave, it was late and past her bedtime and she was exhausted so I was kind of glad she said she wanted to go home. We followed the choir up and almost out when she realized another choir was going to be singing and said she wanted to stay and watch. I found a seat for us in the back. She couldn't not see anything and started to get upset and said she wanted to go back up to the front row. I told her we couldn't go not go back up to the front and she did not like that. They were starting to sing so I knew I had to get her out of there quick before an outburst took place (they have been happening more than I'd like lately and over little things and I didn't want to be rude and interrupt the concert). We get out the doors and she freaks out. I WANT TO GO BACK IN. And, thus begins a tantrum. I tried explaining that they were singing and we couldn't got back in at that time. Well, due to being tired and not listening to what I was actually saying her tantrum grew and grew to the point where I had to leave the building entirely. She, at that point, was screaming, hitting, kicking and here I am by myself in the dark trying to carry her to the car. We both said things we didn't want to and both got majorly frustrated for different reasons. I felt so at a loss. Here I was trying to do what she wanted-go home and she just wanted to see the rest of the choir concert and felt like she was missing out on something spectacular and was made at me as she thought it was my fault.

Finally we got home...still crying and angry....and she pretty much was put right to bed. We talked over what had happened and apologized. Then it was time for me to leave and she started to stall-like normal. She wanted me to sing a song one more time, I started it and she kept trying to interrupt me which I greatly dislike. She at times refuses to listen and wait. And, when I'm tired I get easily frustrated as well. I snapped at her again, which then upset her again and WAAAAAAAAAA-thus leaving us both with uneasiness again. Ok, so we both need sleep. I hope a good nights rest cures all.

I am however, very frustrated with myself. She is 3 and acting as a 3 year old and I am an adult and acting like a 3 year old. Not good. I am suppose to be the good role model-and I am doing things I would get upset with her for doing.

Watching Biggest Loser tonight and listening to the mom that lost her entire family (husband, 5 year old daughter and 2 week old son) in a car crash puts it all into perspective. Who knows when that last moment will be. We need to live every moment as if it were our last.

Lord-thank you for your wisdom and for allowing me to see where I can change. Please help me to be calm and understanding and to be a good role model in all situations for my daughter.

4 comments:

AJ and Dexter's Mom said...

HUGS Mel.
Sounds like a rough night. Try not to be too hard on yourself and know that you're not alone in acting like a 3 year old. I'm guilty as charged sometimes and not proud of it.

Hope you get some good rest.

Peek Thru Our Window said...

Awww, sorry the evening didn't go as planned.
We all do silly things when we're tired.
Tomorrow is a new day.

Lee Ann said...

hugs sweetheart, sounds hard. You are an awesome Mommy so loving and giving of yourself and your time. Grace knows this and loves you for it. 3yos are tough! you handled it the same as I would have I think xxxxx

Dee said...

Mel, you are a wonderful mom and Grace knows how much you love her. We all lose our patience when we are tired. It is great that you can talk with her about it.