Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Quick and Creamy Mac N Cheese

I have had a few request for this recipe so I figured instead of emailing everyone I'd post it here.

***Even if you don't like squash (I don't) you'll LOVE this. It tastes just like regular Mac-N-Cheese-but better and boy is it better for you, too. ENJOY!

16 oz uncooked Med shell pasta (I use whole grain or whole wheat)
1 pkg frozen butternut squash, thawed (12 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
2 cups shredded six cheese Italian blend (if I can find that I use another cheese blend-tastes just as good)
1/8 ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
-additional nutmeg optional

1.
Cook Pasta
-according to package
-carefully remove 1/4 cup of the cooking water for later use.
Drain pasta: put in casserole and set aside

2.
For sauce, place squash into saucepan, gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until mixture begins to simmer. Reduce heat to medium. Add cheese; cook 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture returns to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add nutmeg, salt and reserved cooking water; stir until smooth. Add sauce to pasta; mix to coat.

3.
Finish and Serve
To serve, divide pasta among serving bowls; sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.

No comments: